Preparation for Study in the UK

Preparation for study in the UK

When preparing to study and live in the UK, there will be certain procedures and information that you will need to know to make sure your transition into UK life and study is as smooth as possible. This section helps to identify what you need to know and do to undertake study in the UK.


Applying for Entry Clearance

Overseas nationals from certain countries will require a visa for study known as a Tier 4 (General) Student. To find out if you require a Tier 4 visa, please refer to the UKBA website at Once your visa/entry clearance has been granted, a visa will be placed within your passport allowing you to travel to the UK.

On arrival in the UK

You will be required to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) card from the Post Office in Dundeewithin 10 days of arrival. Some nationals must also register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UK.

Should you require any assistance with completing your application form, please contact the Senior Student Advisor at

Supporting Documentation

To support your Tier 4 visa application, you will need the following information: supporting documentation list.


You will need to demonstrate that you have sufficient funds for 28 days to pay for your tuition fees and living expenses for one academic year. Example: £13,500* (tuition fees) + £9,135 (living expenses = £1,015 x 9 months) = £22,635 (28 days).

* Cost for particular UG courses at Abertay

Typical living expenses for Dundee 2016/17

Student Arrivals: 10 Top Tips


Please bring all previous qualifications that you have obtained including your English Language qualification as per your CAS statement. All qualification certificates must be original and / or a certified copy.

UKVI's YouTube guide to Applying for a UK Tier 4 (General) Student Visa: