Care Experienced

Care Experienced

We encourage applications from students who have experience of care and do our best to  provide a supportive environment for you.

A care leaver is defined 'as a person aged 25 or under, who has been looked after by a local authority for at least 13 weeks since the age of 14; and who was looked after by the local authority at school-leaving age or after that date'.


When submitting your application to Abertay, your UCAS application form will ask you to confirm if you have previously been in care. If so, this information will also be passed on to Abertay. We encourage you to disclose this information to us. It means we are able to contact you to make you aware of the support available and to offer any advice you need as you progress through your studies.

Visiting Abertay

Our Open Days allow you to find out more about the university and answer any queries you may have about studying here. In addition, we have Offer Holder Days which provide detailed course information for applicants who hold offers from Abertay.

Invitations to applicants are sent out from February onwards by email.

Abertay Contact

Hazel Petrie (Advisory Service Manager) is based in the Advisory Service and is the named contact for all care experienced students.

Even if you have not indicated that you are care experienced on your UCAS application form, you can still contact Hazel to ask a question or talk through a particular query. She will continue to provide regular support and advice throughout your time here.

Preparing for University Study

Coming to university can be a daunting prospect. Abertay the Abertay College Transition Programme (ACT) offers support to students joining the university from college.

Student Support

Abertay has been awarded The Frank Buttle Trust Quality Mark for its efforts to support young people moving from local authority care to higher education.

Student Services provides a range of specialist support:

  • Counselling & Mental Health.
  • Careers.
  • The Learner Development Centre.
  • The Advisory Service including International Student support.
  • Student Funding support.
  • Access & Disability.
  • Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD).

Plus the Student Enquiry Zone (SEZ) is based on the ground floor of the Library and can answer quick questions or direct you to the relevant advice, guidance and information. The Student Association also provides an Advice and Welfare service.

We can provide help such as:

  • Year-round accommodation contracts in University residences.
  • Liaison with your local authority to ensure access to funding that you may be entitled to.
  • A guaranteed place on one of the University Preparation Programmes.
  • A key contact for all issues relating to your care background, student journey and personal needs.

The key contact for Abertay is Hazel Petrie. Phone 01382 308051 or email




Pause carousel

Play carousel