Visa Information

All the information new students need about visa requirements for studying at Abertay University.

This page is for new students preparing to apply for a Student visa. If you're a current student, please check our visa information for current students.

Visa Information for New Students

If you're from outside the UK, over the age of 16 and coming to study for more than six months, you'll usually need a Student visa to study here.

NEW STUDENTS from EU/EEA & Swiss nationals: you need to apply for a visa if you plan to study in the UK for longer than six months. 

NEW STUDENTS with Settled/Pre-settled status: you don't need a visa to study here.

NEW STUDENTS coming for less than six months: for new students on an exchange or mobility programme, such as Erasmus+, please visit our page for incoming students.

CURRENT STUDENTS from EU/EEA & Swiss nationals: find out more on the visa page for current students.

You can check if you need a visa on the UK government website.

Student Visa Requirements

To apply for a Student visa, you need to be able to score 70 points. You need to meet all the requirements, because points are non-tradeable. Find out how the points are awarded below.

Points type Requirements to be met Number of points
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)
  • Course
  • Approved Qualification
  • Level of Study
  • Place of Study
Financial Evidence of funds for tuition fees and living expenses for one academic year. This is up to 9 months living expenses. 10
English language Evidence of English language proficiency equivalent to CEFR level B2 (submitted to UK education provider - e.g. Abertay). 10

Visa Application Process

The application process for Entry Clearance to study in the UK.

Step Find out more
1. Your course Check that the course you are applying for is at an accepted level for the UK Government
2. Financial requirement You will need enough money to cover your tuition fees and monthly living expenses for one academic year, up to 9 months' living expenses. Work out how much money you will require and how to calculate it via the UK Government Student visa money page
3. Apply to Abertay Apply for your chosen course and fulfil all offer conditions to obtain your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS).
4. Complete your CAS Shield profile See our student guide to completing your CAS Shield profile. For agents, please refer to our CAS Shield - Good To Know Guide
5. Documents for application You need to provide:
  • Current passport or other valid travel documentation.
  • Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from your course provider.
You may also need to supply other documents. Check what you’ll need to provide when applying for your Student visa. 
6. Apply online Complete your visa application online and submit it with payment and supporting documents. You will also need to prove your identity and will be told what you need to do when you apply. This will be one of the following, depending on your type of passport/travel documentation:
  • Give your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) at a visa application centre.
  • Use the 'UK Immigration: ID Check' app to scan your identity document.


Visit the UK government webpages for the full details about the Student visa for studying in the UK.

Please read our overseas pre-arrival guide for all the information you need before you arrive in Dundee.

There are some Abertay Academic Policies that apply to Visa holders

Useful Information 

We recommend being prepared as early as you can.

  • Apply for your Student visa as early as possible.

  • Three week minimum processing time for Student visas.

  • Apply in July instead of August if you can.

  • If you can't apply now (waiting on exam results, CAS reference number etc.) start preparing your supporting documents now as this can take time.

Visa FAQs

We have tried to answer all your questions, if not please contact

When can I apply for a Student visa?

From outside the UK: the earliest you can apply for a visa is 6 months before you start your course. You’ll usually get a decision on your visa within 3 weeks.

From inside the UK: the earliest you can apply for a visa is 3 months before your course starts. You must apply before your current visa expires. Your new course must begin within 28 days of your current visa expiring. You’ll usually get a decision within 8 weeks.

You will only be able to apply for a visa once you have received your CAS.

I already have a Tier 4 student visa. Do I need to reapply for the Student visa?

Visas that have been issued through the Tier 4 route are still valid. If the Tier 4 visa is valid until the end of your expected studies, then you do not need to apply for a Student visa. The conditions of your Tier 4 student visa will remain.

I have heard about biometric information, what is required?

As part of the visa application process you need to provide:

  • Your fingerprints

  • Digital photographs

Your visa application will not be processed until you have provided the necessary biometric information.

How and where do I get my biometrics information taken?

Your biometric information will be taken at your nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC). If your country does not have a VAC, then you can have your biometrics taken at your local British mission.

Your fingerprints or finger scans will be taken electronically, which means no ink, liquid or chemicals are used. You will also have your digital photographs taken at the same time. The whole process should take no more than five minutes.

What are some of the conditions for biometrics?

  • No decoration (Henna, for example).

  • No cuts, bruises or other markings on your fingertips before your finger scans are taken.

  • Any cuts or bruises to the face must have healed or disappeared prior to having your photograph taken.

  • Digital photographs must show your full face, no sunglasses, hats or any other head covering can be worn unless you wear it for cultural or religious reasons but the face must not be covered.

How much money do I need to qualify for a visa?

The two most important costs are your tuition fees and living expenses. In order to qualify for the student visa you must be able to show that you have enough funds to pay for your first year of course fees PLUS £9,207 for living expenses

Please make sure you have sufficient funds for both without the need to find employment in the UK or having to access public funds.

This is calculated as £1,023 for each month of your degree course, up to a maximum of £9,207 for a degree lasting nine months or more.

Tuition fee costs are in the Money, Fees and Funding section.

Graduate Route

International students can apply for the 'Graduate Visa route'. This gives you the option to remain in the UK to work, or look for work, for two years after graduation. That limit is three years for doctoral students.

The Graduate route is a different visa from the Tier 4 or Student visa, and you must apply separately from inside the UK to be eligible.

This means you can work flexibly, and switch jobs if needed. You don’t need a job offer to be eligible, and there is no minimum salary requirement. 

Find out more about the UK Government Graduate Visa Route.

Pause carousel

Play carousel