Outreach and Public Engagement Network
Welcome to OPEN at Abertay
The Abertay University Outreach and Public Engagement Network (OPEN) office was established in 2013 to build an engaged campus. OPEN engages staff and students of the University with the local, national and international community, and engages the community with the learning, research and knowledge of the University.
What is Outreach?
Outreach is teaching that enables and extends learning beyond the campus walls, service that directly benefits people and organisations through informing and delivering expertise, and research that makes Abertay discoveries useful beyond the academic community.
What is Public Engagement?
'Public engagement describes the myriad of ways in which the activity and benefits of higher education and research can be shared with the public. Engagement is by definition a two-way process, involving interaction and listening, with the goal of generating mutual benefit.'
– Definition from The National Coordinating Centre for Public Engagement
Based in the Graduate School, OPEN aims to:
- Provide a link between the University and the public, including schools, colleges and industry.
- Provide a programme of activities, lectures, events and CPD in subject areas aligned with the research strands of the University, Curriculum for Excellence and industry professionals.
- Make Abertay University an accessible and open community asset.
Our role is:
- To curate the outreach & public engagement activities of the staff and students.
- To engage schools and teachers with the University.
- To train staff and students in outreach and public engagement.
- To develop and generate new opportunities for the University, schools, youth groups and the wider community.
We also coordinate the Nuffield Research Placements in Scotland
and host the Dundee Children's University