Useful information

Personal and academic support

We do our very best to support you personally and academically to help you thrive while you are studying here.

Advisory Service for international students

Our Student Advisory Service has a dedicated international adviser to help you in all aspects of studying and living in the UK. 

  • Guidance on money management and funding

  • General international student support

  • Visa and immigration enquiries

  • Accommodation advice

  • Academic help

If you are experiencing difficulties, or would like advice, then please do not hesitate email All contact is kept strictly confidential.

Find out more on the support page for international students page.


Academic Support & Study Skills

How you study is as important as what you study. Student Academic Support is here to help you improve the way you study so you can improve your grades. Here are some of the topics we can help you with:

  • Taking control of your own studies.

  • Organising yourself and making the most of your time.

  • Thinking for yourself.

  • Effective reading and research skills.

  • Writing better coursework.

  • Proof-reading.

  • Maths and statistics.

  • Group work.

  • Revision and exam techniques.

We offer workshops on various aspects of Academic English, which some students find helpful. These can be found on the Study Skills page along with the other online resources available

Contact for enquiries or to book individual appointments or a coursework reading service.

Academic and English preparation

Prepare for Success is an interactive learning tool for international students preparing to come to the UK to study.

When you start your degree course you can also enrol for free English study classes, which help with your coursework and understanding during lectures. Contact Advisory for more details.

Counselling & Mental Health Support

The Counselling and Mental Health Service is part of Student Services and is free and confidential for all Abertay students.

Sometimes life at university can be full of challenges, particular if you’ve moved to a new country to be here. Counselling is an opportunity to explore issues that concern you without judgement. So if you are feeling overwhelmed or need to speak to a professional come and talk to us.

Sometimes talking to an experienced counsellor or Mental Health Advisor can make all the difference. Here are just some of the issues we can help you with:

  • Homesickness

  • Feeling low

  • Anxiety

  • Stress

  • Depression

  • Relationship difficulties

  • Loneliness

  • Self esteem

  • Panic attacks

  • Other mental health issues

At the moment counselling and mental health appointments are taking place via telephone and video link. This is to comply with Covid 19 regulations and allows support to be offered without the need to travel to campus.

Find out more on the counselling and mental health webpage
or email

Advisor for Students with Disabilities

If you need help with a disability or medical condition, please contact:

Tel: +44 (0)1382 308051


Find out more on the disabled student support page.

Doctors and medical information

You need to register with a doctors practice (called a 'GPs Surgery') once you arrive in Dundee as well as needing medical insurance. Find out more below.



Registering with a doctor

You need to register with a doctors practice (GP Surgery) once you arrive in Dundee. Find your nearest GP Surgery on the NHS Inform website, which also tells you what you will need to do to get registered.

Please remember to bring a letter from your current doctor detailing any current prescribed medication, so that the Doctor knows what you are taking and can continue to provide it for you.

Hawkhill Medical Centre and Hillbank Health Centre are a short walk away from the University.

IMPORTANT: You should still purchase health/medical insurance in case you need to be repatriated to your home country to continue hospitalisation and to be close to family. If you do not have this insurance it can cost over £5000 or more to be airlifted home. Your family and children are also eligible for NHS treatment and should be covered by health insurance.

The NHS site has a useful page about medical care for students.

Registering with a dentist

Dental problems cannot be dealt with by doctors, so make sure you register with a local dentist. Not all treatment is free, even under the NHS. You may be able to apply for help with health costs, including prescriptions and dental care.

Find out more on the NHS Scottish Dental services page.

Do I need private health insurance?

Yes. Getting airlifted home if you need to be repatriated to your home country to continue hospitalisation is expensive. If you do not have this insurance it can cost over £5000 or more and you need to pay for that. Your family and children are also eligible for NHS treatment and should be covered by health insurance.

Any student studying in the UK for more than 6 months needs to pay for an Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) as part of your visa application for the UK.

Do I need any specific vaccinations?

Tuberculosis and Meningitis 'C' strain are common worldwide and so it is important to make sure you are vaccinated against both before you arrive in the UK.

The UK has a national programme of vaccination against these two  diseases. Up to date medical advice suggests that all students should ensure they are vaccinated as students are designated as a 'high risk' group for these diseases.

There are currently no Covid vaccination restrictions but we do encourage you follow the Scottish Government Covid recommendations.

Is medicine expensive in Scotland?

Please only bring prescribed medicine including a doctor’s letter explaining what each medicine is with you. Prescribed medicine is free in Scotland from your pharmacy.

All other medicines can be purchased quite cheaply at a pharmacy or supermarket.

Can I get help with health costs?

Yes. As a student you may be eligible for a full or part exemption towards the cost of the following:

  • NHS Dental treatment

  • NHS wigs and fabric supports

  • Sight tests, glasses and contact lenses

  • Travel to receive NHS treatment under the care of a consultant.

Find out if you are eligible for help on the NHS website.

To be eligible for help or an exemption, you must complete an HC1 form, which is available from your local doctor’s surgery (GP) or post office.


There are a variety of large supermarkets and smaller specialist food stores in Dundee as well as restaurants, takeaways and cafes. 

Food shops

  • Alnoor Halal Food Store, 202 Blackness Road, Dundee, DD1 5PL

  • Bismallah Halal Food Store, 154 Hilltown, Dundee, DD3 7BG

  • The Health Store, 95 Commercial Street, Dundee, DD1 2AF

  • Lidl Supermarket, West Marketgait

  • Tesco Supermarket, Riverside Drive (open 24hrs)

  • Tesco Express, 80A Nethergate, Dundee DD1 4ER

  • Continental Food Store, 146 Hilltown, Dundee, DD3 7BJ

  • Global Grocers and Butchers, 9 Guthrie Street, Dundee, DD1 4DP

  • Polski Skelp Kubus Dundee (Polish Deli), 317 Hilltown, Dundee, DD3 7AQ

  • Russian Food Store (Slavyanski), 236 Blackness Road, Dundee, DD2 1RG

  • Wing Fung Cash and Carry, 45-47 Trades Lane

  • Matthews Chinese Market, Gellatly Street, Dundee, DD1 3DY

Cafes and restaurants

There’s all the usual food choices here, but why not try Japanese, Thai, Mexican, New Zealand or Lebanese cuisine for a change? There are great restaurants and cafes right across the city:

Dundee is famous for its amazing bakeries. So why not try a Dundee pie or a local pasty called a 'bridie'?

Contact details

International team contacts

The International Team at Abertay University are here to help you with any aspect of the process. Our team cover the entire globe, so depending on where you are from, we have a member of the team
to help you out.  If you can't find the right details below, email:

Beth Meehan
Americas and Europe

Fin Hackwood
Middle East, North Africa and South Asia

Doug Watters
Sub-Saharan Africa

Elaine Russell
East Asia

Evie Jackson
Exchange and Study Abroad

Will Gilzean
Americas and Europe

University addresses

Abertay University
Bell Street
Dundee DD1 1HG
T: +44(0) 1382 308080
F: +44(0) 1382 308081

SEZ (Student Enquiry Zone)
Ground Floor, Library
Bell Street
Dundee DD1 1HG
T: +44(0) 1382 308051
F: +44(0) 1382 308122

The Advisory Service
Abertay University Student Services
Level 2, Library,
Bell Street
Dundee DD1 1HG
T: +44(0) 1382 308051
F: +44(0) 1382 308122

News and social media

Check out the News section to find out all about what's happening here from great student projects to big events like conferences. Naturally you'll find lots updates of all kinds on social media.

The International Team at Abertay have set up dedicated social media channels for you to join:

@AbertayGoesGlobal on Instagram:

Abertay UniversityInternational FB Group:



Useful organisations outside the University

Citizens Advice Bureau Dundee

Dundee Central Library

Level 4 Wellgate Centre

Dundee DD1 1DB

T: +44(0) 1382 307494




UK Visas and Immigration



The British Council



Foreign and Commonwealth Office

For information on visas W:


United Kingdom Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

9–17 St Albans Place

London N1 0NX

T: +44(0) 20 7107 9922



Dundee City Council

Tayside House

Dundee DD1 3RZ

T: +44(0) 1382 434000


Pause carousel

Play carousel