Visa requirements and information

Applying for a student visa from outside the UK

If you do not have a British passport, or are already registered under the EU settlement scheme you will need a student visa to study in the UK. 

You can apply for a Student visa to study in the UK if you are 16 or over and you:

  • Have been offered a place on one of our degree courses.
  • Have enough money to support yourself and pay for your education - the amount will vary depending on your circumstances.
  • Can speak, read, write and understand English.

The earliest you can apply is six months before the start of your course.

To be eligible to apply for a Student visa, you need to be able to score 70 points. Points are non-tradeable, which means you will need to meet all the requirements. You will be awarded points for meeting the following requirements:

a) Academic - Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS), your course, approved qualification, level of study and location of study. 

b) Financial evidence of funds for tuition fees and living expenses for one academic year. This is up to nine months living expenses.

c) English Language Evidence of English language proficiency equivalent to CEFR level B2, submitted to Abertay, your UK education provider.

For all the information you need, please visit the page for new students preparing to apply for a UK Student visa. This includes FAQs and full details on the visa application process.

Looking for a Graduate visa?

A graduate visa is different to a student visa, and you must apply separately from inside the UK to be eligible. Find out more about the UK Government Graduate Visa Route.

Registering with Police Scotland

Some visa nationals will need to register with Police Scotland within seven days of arriving in Dundee/Scotland. 

Who needs to register with Police Scotland?

Anyone from the following countries: 

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Columbia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan,  Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Yemen, and holders of stateless documents.

What do you need to take with you?

  • two recent passport-sized colour photographs
  • your passport
  • your visa ‘vignette’ (sticker in your passport), if you applied outside the UK
  • the letter you received from the Home Office when your application was approved. If you applied inside the UK, your biometric residence permit, if you have one.

If your spouse and family accompany you while you are studying in the UK, they will also need to register with Police Scotland.

You must also notify the police if you change your address or extend your 'Leave to Remain'. 

Visit the UK Government page about registering with the police for more details. 

Pause carousel

Play carousel