Student Accommodation
Coming from overseas

Student Accommodation

Once you have accepted our offer to study at Abertay University, your status will move to 'Conditional Firm' which allows you to book student accommodation. We partner with private student accommodation companies who run student halls and have rooms specifically for our students. This means you'll only share with other Abertay students.

Find out more about the student halls and kinds of rooms available

Accommodation booking usually opens in late spring, and you will receive an email with instructions about how to book. Booking is online via their websites, and priority is given to students like you who are coming from overseas. Please book as soon as possible so that you can secure a room ahead of arriving in Dundee. 

Find out more in our student accommodation section.

Bedroom essentials

The student halls don’t supply bedding, so you will need a duvet, duvet cover, pillows and sheets, plus a mattress protector unless you’re staying at Parker House, which supplies one. If you don’t want to carry bulky bedding on your journey, you can go shopping in Dundee when you arrive. Many of the local stores and larger supermarkets sell bedding.

Other essentials

  • Plates and cutlery

  • Towels

  • Cooking utensils such as wooden spoons

  • Cleaning materials

  • Toilet paper

  • Clothes hangers

What not to bring!

Don’t bring items such fridges, freezers, tumble dryers, microwaves, toasters, kettles and heaters. They are not permitted unless you have specific needs such as medication that must be kept in a fridge. Please contact the international team if you aren’t sure about what to bring.

Renting a room or apartment privately

If you are looking to rent private accommodation in Dundee*, the cost of renting can range from approximately £300-£800 per month, depending on the size of property you are looking for and area of the city it is in.

The majority of properties for rent in the Dundee area are fully furnished. This means the property already has a bed, table, sofa/chairs, washing machine, cooker and fridge but no bedding. Private accommodation may be cheaper than student residences (halls), but may not be as comfortable or as secure. The cost of rent will be reflected by the age/contents, style of the property and the location.

Dundee City Council has a landlord accreditation scheme to help you identify responsible landlords. We recommend you check if the landlord/property you are interested in is listed on the register.

Ask the landlord for their Scottish Letting Agent Registration number. Then go to the Scottish Letting Agent Register and select 'Letting agent registration number'. Add the number there. Their details should come up when you put the number in.

When considering private accommodation there are a number of things to think about. Dundee City Council provide help and advice about renting in the private sector.

If you do consider renting privately, as with any contract, you should be sure of all the terms before signing. The following services can provide help, information and advice:


*The University holds no responsibility for the representation of private accommodation in Dundee nor can the University recommend or endorse any individual landlord or company.

Pause carousel

Play carousel