If you are looking to further your knowledge and skills in your chosen field, a postgraduate course of study is worth considering. The careers team can assist with researching postgraduate qualifications, course options, funding issues and completing applications for postgraduate study. See here for a full list of postgraduate courses available at Abertay.
Scottish Postgraduate Open Days
For a comprehensive list of postgraduate open days throughout Scotland and the rest of the UK, please visit the Prospects website.
- Be honest about your reasons for choosing postgraduate study. If you don't feel ready to work or are hoping that further study will help you decide on a career direction then it is unlikely that you are choosing a postgraduate course for the right reasons. This can also prove costly in terms of money and time.
- A postgraduate course is compulsory for certain careers, for example, social work.
- Postgraduate study can help develop specialist knowledge - favoured by some STEM organisations.
- Postgraduate study provides an opportunity to explore your subject at a higher level.
- Many postgraduate courses require a minimum 2:1 degree classification.
- Application closing dates can be as early as December.
There are very few postgraduate courses that are fully funded; SAAS produce details of courses in Scotland that are eligible for tuition fees - this can change on an annual basis so make sure you check the year you intend to apply for. It is likely that you will have to look for alternative sources of funding such as scholarships, career development loans and charities. The Research Councils often award studentships to individuals but these can be very competitive. You will need to apply for and obtain a place on your chosen course before applying for financial support. See Abertay Postgraduate Funding for further information.
Prospects; Postgrad.com; Targetpostgrad; Find a Masters; Find a Phd; Find a PostDoc; Vitae; Jobs.ac.uk; Guardian Higher Education Network; THE (Times Higher Education); National Postgraduate Committee; Postgrad Ireland; NUS