Abertay staff can receive funding to undertake teaching and training mobilities through Erasmus+. This is a wonderful opportunity to update your subject knowledge and strengthen your CV while experiencing higher education abroad.
Who can take part?
Both academic and support staff are eligible to participate in Erasmus+ mobilities. There are two ways to participate:
1) Teaching – academic staff may deliver teaching at a partner HEI or Abertay may invite staff from an enterprise to teach at Abertay. Staff must deliver at least eight hours of teaching per week.
2) Training – academic and support staff may visit an enterprise or partner HEI for the purpose of professional development. These activities can include language training, seminars, courses and workshops, short secondments, job-shadowing schemes etc. This may be for transfer of knowledge and good practice, to learn from shared experience, acquire practical skills or to discover new ideas for teaching and learning. As of 2014/15, conferences are no longer eligible for funding.
The minimum duration of these activities is two working days and the maximum duration is six weeks (weekends, holidays and travel days are not counted towards the minimum duration).
Where could I go?
Abertay has secured Erasmus+ funding for staff mobilities within the EU, Turkey, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein, as well as Malaysia.
There are two different options for choosing a destination:
- You can check our list of Erasmus+ partner institutions and identify a destination of your choice. We can then contact the partners to see whether they would be interested in hosting you for a teaching or training mobility.
- If you prefer another destination, they can suggest any university which holds an Erasmus+ charter as a new partner institution. In this case, the staff member should contact this institution directly and propose the mobility project. Once staff have established a relationship with the potential new partner, they should ask their contact to refer them to their International Office so that a new inter-institutional agreement for staff exchange can be negotiated.
How can I apply?
Before applying, you should contact Abertay's Exchange and Study Abroad Officer to indicate interest and discuss the proposed project.
To apply, staff should please submit the following:
- Completed Mobility Agreement for Teaching or Mobility Agreement for Training, depending on the type of mobility.
- Written permission/approval from line manager/Head of Division/department budget holder for the project and any financial overages not covered by the Erasmus budget.
The deadlines to apply for Erasmus staff mobility in 2016-17 are:
- Mobility during Semester 1 – 1 September 2016
- Mobility during Semester 2 – 1 December 2016
After these dates, applications will be accepted on a rolling basis should funding be available.
Should there be more compliant applications than funding, applications are ranked according to the following criteria:
1) Staff participating in Erasmus mobility for the first time.
2) Staff participating in Erasmus mobility during Semester 1.
3) Maintaining a balance of participating staff throughout different departments of Abertay.
4) Staff mobilities to locations where we currently have Erasmus students studying (therefore allowing a site visit for quality assurance to be undertaken at the same time).
5) prioritising formal periods of practical training, short secondments, job-shadowing, etc. over language training, seminars, courses, workshops.
6) Objectives, value, content and expected results of the mobility as outlined in the mobility agreement.
Feel free to e-mail Torsten Matzke, Abertay's Exchange and Study Abroad Officer, for more information.