Study Abroad FAQs


We've answered some common questions about being an incoming study abroad student at Abertay. Please make sure you read these answers if there's anything we haven't answered or you are still unsure about our contact details are below. 

Who can take part?

Undergraduate and postgraduate students currently enrolled at a university, typically a partner university however the Visiting Student programme gives flexibility to that.

You can apply if you have been nominated for a Study Abroad mobility at Abertay. If you have been nominated the Study Abroad team at Abertay will be in direct contact with you via email.

Students are expected to have proficiency in English at least equivalent to our minimum requirements. If you are a native speaker, no further evidence is required.



Accommodation - How does that work?

Once you are have accepted our offer, you can apply for university accommodation in the student halls nearby.

We will email you some specific booking links when the accommodation booking is open.


English language - I've never been taught in English before?

All courses are taught solely in English. The nomination from your home university is taken as language proficiency, equivalent to a B2 level, see our English Language Requirements for alternative exams. 

If you are a native speaker, no further evidence is required in your application.

Abertay offers pre-sessional English language courses before the start of teaching, more information about the pre-sessional can be found here.

There is also the opportunity to attend free in-sessional courses throughout the semester, through our Student Support and Services team.


Academic Recognition - How does that work?

A full semester at Abertay is 60 SCQF Credits, which is three modules. You are not permitted to take any more than 3 modules per semester. 

60 SCQF credits = 30 ECTS = 12-16 North American Credits = 15 Hong Kong Credit Units.

Abertay uses the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF). One SCQF credit point is equivalent to 0.5 ECTS credits, so a full workload of 60 SCQF credit points per semester equates to 30 ECTS credits.

Please check with your home university's International/Study Abroad/Global Education Office for information on credit transfer requirements. You will most likely need approval from your academic advisors for the modules you wish to take at Abertay in order to be able to transfer our credits. The above information is a rough guide to what most of our incoming students need to take.

Including independent work (to the level that is expected) these 3 courses equal 600 hours of teaching and learning over the 13 weeks of teaching that make up a semester, which is just over 15 hours per course, per week.

Please note that as a Visting student, you are not eligible to graduate with an Abertay degree.

Finance - How can I pay for this?

Dundee is an affordable student city with the cost of living estimated at 12% below the UK average. You can view estimated living costs for Dundee here.

If you are from the USA and receive Federal Student Aid this can usually be applied towards a study abroad programme. Please ask your Financial Aid Office for further information.

If you are an Erasmus+ Student please inquire with the International Office at your home university for further information about an Erasmus+ Grant.

As a Study Abroad Student, you could be eligible for tuition fee support from your home country. Please contact the International Office at your home university for more information.

Please note that the Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) does not fund tuition fees for Visiting Students.

Still have a question?

Get in touch using the form below and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.

This field is required
This field is required
Please enter a valid email address
Please enter a valid telephone number
This field is required
This field is required

Pause carousel

Play carousel