Dr Boon-Seang Chu is a lecturer in Food Science and the Programme Leader of MSc Food & Drink Innovation programme. Before joining Abertay in 2013, Boon held research positions at the Nestlé Research Centre in Switzerland, the Institute of Bioproduct Development in Malaysia, the National Food Research Institute in Japan and the Institute of Food Research in the UK.
Boon has a wide research interest including emulsions, natural food ingredients, nutrient delivery systems, food structure and digestion. Boon has collaborated with the food industry on projects ranging from masking fish odour to developing cold brew coffee, food emulsions and chocolate science.
Boon sits on the editorial board of several journals including the American Research Journal of Food and Nutrition, Food Quality & Safety and International Journal of Food Processing Technology. He is also a fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Programme leader of MSc Food and Drink Innovation
FOD104 Properties of Food (Module leader)
FOD106 Safe Food Handling (Module leader)
FOD303 Food Processing Technology (Contributing tutor)
FOD405 Current Topics in Food (Module leader)
FOD408 Honours Project (Honours student project supervisor)
LSC101 Biology I: Biology Principles and Practice (Contributing tutor)
AHD011 Access to Science and Technology (Contributing tutor)
The principle aim of Dr Boon-Seang Chu research is to gain a basic understanding of food digestion and food emulsions, which will enable a systematic approach to structure food, design nutrient delivery systems and modulate food digestion for optimal health benefits such weight control and maximal nutrient uptake. His main research interests include emulsions, food structure, nutrient delivery systems, digestive enzymes and food digestion.
He is also working on other areas including phytochemicals as digestive enzyme inhibitors, chocolate science and technology and natural food products.
1. K. Tsikrika, B.S. Chu, D.H. Bremner and M.A. Lemos. The effect of different frequencies of ultrasound on the activity of horseradish peroxidase. LWT - Food Sci. Technol. 89: 591-595 (2018).
2. B.S. Chu, R. Divers, A. Tziboula-Clarke and M.A. Lemos. Clitoria ternatea L. flower extract inhibits alpha-amylase during in vitro starch digestion. Am. Res. J. Food Nutr. 1: 1-10 (2017).
3. K. Tsikrika, M.A. Lemos, B.S. Chu, D.H. Bremner and G. Hungerford. Time-resolved fluorescence observation of di-tyrosine formation in horseradish peroxidase upon ultrasound treatment leading to enzyme inactivation. Spectrochimica Acta A 173: 324-327 (2017).
4. B.S. Chu, J.D. Wilkin, M. House, M. Roleska and M.A. Lemos. Effect of sucrose on thermal and pH stability of Clitoria ternatea extract. Intl. J. Food Process. Technol. 3: 11-17 (2016).
5. A. Bagheri, B.S. Chu and H. Yaakob. Niosomal drug delivery systems: Formulation, preparation and application. World Appl. Sci. J. 32: 1671-1685 (2014).
6. N. Domoto, M.E. Koenen, R. Havenaar, A. Mikajiri and B.S. Chu. The bioaccessibility of eicosapentaenoic acid was higher from phospholipid food products than from mono- and triacylglycerol food products in a dynamic gastrointestinal model. Food Sci. Nutr.1: 145-149 (2013).
7. B.S. Chu and K. Nagy. Enrichment and quantification of monoacylglycerols and free fatty acids by solid phase extraction and liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry. J. Chromatogr. B 932: 50-58 (2013).
8. N. Domoto, T. Koriyama, B.S. Chu and T. Tsuji. Evaluation of the efficacy of orange roughy (Hoplostetbus atlanticus) oil in subjects with dry skin. Int. J. Cosmetic Sci. 34: 322-327 (2012).
9. P.J. Wilde and B.S. Chu. Interfacial and colloidal aspects of lipid digestion. Adv. Colloid Interface. Sci. 165: 14-22 (2011).
10. B.S. Chu, B.S. Baharin, Y.B. Che Man and S.Y. Quek. Desorption of vitamin E from silica-packed fixed-bed column by isopropanol. Intl. J. Food Eng. 6(5): art 4 (2010).
11. B.S. Chu, A.P. Gunning, G.T. Rich, M.J. Ridout, M.S.J. Wickham, R.M. Faulks, V.J. Morris and P.J. Wilde. Adsorption of bile salts and pancreatic lolipase and Lipase onto digalactosyldiacylglycerol and dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine monolayers. Langmuir 26: 9782-9793 (2010).
12. B.S. Chu, S.Y. Quek, B.S. Baharin and Y.B. Che Man. Selective adsorption of vitamin E from palm fatty acid distillate on silica packed fixed bed columns. Intl. J. Food. Eng. 5(5): art 5 (2009).
13. B.S. Chu, G.T. Rich, M.J. Ridout, M.S.J. Wickham, R.M. Faulks and P.J. Wilde. Modulating pancreatic lipolysis with galactolipids: effect of emulsion interfacial composition. Langmuir 25: 9352-9360 (2009).
14. L.J. Yin, B.S. Chu, I. Kobayashi and M. Nakajima. Performance of selected emulsifiers and their combinations in the preparation of β-carotene nanodispersions. Food Hydrocolloids 23: 1617-1622 (2009).
15. B.S. Chu, S. Ichikawa, S. Kanafusa and M. Nakajima. Stability of protein-stabilized β-carotene nanodispersions against heating, salts and pH. J. Sci. Food Agri. 88: 1764-1769 (2008).
16. H.S. Ribeiro, B.S. Chu and M. Nakajima. Preparation of nanoemulsions containing of b-carotene. Food Hydrocolloids 22: 12-17 (2008).
17. S. Kanafusa, B.S. Chu and M. Nakajima. Factors affecting droplet size of sodium caseinate-stabilized O/W emulsions containing b-carotene. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 109: 1038-1041 (2007).
18. B.S. Chu, S. Ichikawa, S. Kanafusa and M. Nakajima. Preparation and characterization of carotene nanodispersions prepared by solvent displacement technique. J. Agri. Food Chem. 55: 6754-6760 (2007).
19. B.S. Chu, S. Ichikawa, S. Kanafusa and M. Nakajima. Preparation of protein-stabilized β-carotene nanodispersions using emulsification-evaporation method. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 84: 1053-1062 (2007). [Best Paper Award]
20. B.S. Chu, B.S. Baharin, Y.B. Che Man and S.Y. Quek. Comparison of selected adsorbents for adsorption and desorption of vitamin E from palm fatty acid distillate. J. Food Lipids 12: 23-33 (2005).
21. B.S. Chu, B.S. Baharin, Y.B. Che Man and S.Y. Quek. Separation of vitamin E from fatty acid distillate using silica: I. Equilibrium of batch adsorption. J. Food Eng. 62: 97-103 (2004).
22. B.S. Chu, B.S. Baharin, Y.B. Che Man and S.Y. Quek. Separation of vitamin E from fatty acid distillate using silica: II. Kinetics of batch adsorption. J. Food Eng. 62: 105-111 (2004).
23. B.S. Chu, B.S. Baharin, Y.B. Che Man and S.Y. Quek. Separation of vitamin E from fatty acid distillate using silica: III. Batch desorption study. J. Food Eng. 64: 1-7 (2004).
24. B.S. Chu, S.Y. Quek and B.S. Baharin. Optimisation of enzymatic hydrolysis for concentration of vitamin E in palm fatty acid distillate. Food Chem. 80: 295-302 (2003).
25. B.S. Chu, B.S. Baharin, S.Y. Quek and Y.B. Che Man. Separation of tocopherols and tocotrienols from palm fatty acid distillate using neutralization-adsorption chromatography. J. Food Lipids 10: 141-152 (2003).
26. B.S. Chu, B.S. Baharin and S.Y. Quek. Factors affecting pre-concentration of tocopherols and tocotrienols from palm fatty acid distillate by lipase-catalysed hydrolysis. Food Chem. 79: 55-59 (2002).
27. B.S. Chu, C.P. Tan, H.M. Ghazali and O.M. Lai. Determination of iodine value of palm olein mixtures using Differential Scanning Calorimetry. Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 104: 472-482 (2002).
28. B.S. Chu, H.M. Ghazali, O.M. Lai, Y.B. Che Man, S. Yusof and M.S.A. Yusoff. Physical and chemical properties of a lipase-transesterified palm stearin/palm kernel olein blend and its isopropanol-solid and high melting triacylglycerol fractions. Food Chem. 76: 155-164 (2002).
29. L.P. Lim, H.M. Ghazali, O.M. Lai and B.S. Chu. Comparison of transesterified palm stearin/sunflower oil blends catalysed by Pseudomonas and Mucor javanicus lipase. J. Food Lipids 8: 103-114 (2001).
30. B.S. Chu, H.M. Ghazali, O.M. Lai, Y.B. Che Man, S. Yusof and M.S.A. Yusoff. Performance of a lipase-catalysed transesterified palm kernel olein and palm stearin blend in frying of banana chips. Food Chem. 74: 21-33 (2001).
31. B.S. Chu, H.M. Ghazali, O.M. Lai, Y.B. Che Man, S. Yusof, S.B. Tee and M.S.A. Yusoff. Comparison of lipase-transesterified blend with some commercial solid frying shortenings in Malaysia. J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 78: 1213-1219 (2001).
32. B.S. Chu, H.M. Ghazali, O.M. Lai, Y.B. Che Man, S. Yusof and M.S.A. Yusoff. Oxidative stability of a lipase-catalysed transesterified palm stearin and palm kernel olein blend. J. Food Lipids 7: 207-215 (2000).
2016 DPF Enzyme, funded by Scottish Institute for Remanufacture (co-investigator)
2015 Masking Fish Odour in Emulsion, self-funded by a company TO3 (consultancy)
2015 Cold Brew Coffee, Innovation voucher project funded by Interface Food & Drink (co-investigator)
2014 R-LINC PhD Studentship, funded by Abertay University (co-investigator)
2017- present: Member of the editorial board of American Research Journal of Food and Nutrition
2016 - present: Member of the editorial board of Food Quality and Safety
2016 - present: Member of editorial panel of EC Nutrition
2015 - present: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, UK
2014 - present: Member of Editorial Board of International Journal of Food Processing Technology.
2017-2018 Knowledge Transfer Partnership with Mackie's of Scotland
2017 - present STEM Ambassador
2017 Guest speaker at ASE Scotland Conference, Dundee.
2015 "Food Science", public engagement activity at Eastern Primary, Broughty Ferry.