Abertay is running a video challenge to promote this year's International Women in Engineering Day
Abertay University is running a video competition to mark International Women in Engineering Day (INWED) 2023 on the theme of "Make Safety Seen".
The challenge is open to all Engineering and Environmental Studies students and graduates across Scotland as well as secondary school pupils.
All participants need to do is record and send us a 2-minute video that features a woman engineer, or a structure designed by a woman engineer, and explain how safety was important factor in its design or construction.
To enter, please send your video to email@example.com via a shared drive such as One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox or WeTransfer marked "INWED2023".
The deadline for entries is 5pm on Monday 9 June and the winner will be announced during our online event on Thursday 22 June. A panel of experts will judge all entries and finalists will share £150 worth of Amazon vouchers.
If you are unsure about what’s the best way to film this, we have put together the following guide with tips on how to make it look (almost!) professional:
- Important: Make sure you are recording/taking photos in landscape mode using your mobile device or camera
- Have your recording device on a tripod (or stable location) if possible, with a good clear view of you. For best results have the camera be at a slightly higher elevation with enough distance to clearly see you
- For the best quality – find a location that is well-lit with either natural sunlight or plenty of indoor lightning
- Make sure the light source is facing you and the feature you want to highlight, and not behind you
- Film in a quiet location with no visual distractions (avoid showing other people, posters/signs that can be read, windows etc)
- For the final videos please use the HD 30 fps (1080p 30fps) setting on your mobile device
- On Android phones, you can find the setting usually in the main camera app behind the gear settings wheel
- On iPhones, the camera settings are in the main settings icon in the photos and camera section.
- Do not use any copyrighted material, including music, when you edit your video