Loan Information for US Students

You should begin the process of applying for loans once you have decided to enrol at Abertay, and have accepted your offer either through UCAS (for undergraduates) or through our Admissions Office (for Graduate School students).


Federal Student Aid

  • Abertay University participates in the federal student aid program. ur Federal School Code is G36743. You can apply for student loans to study at Abertay using the same process you use to apply for aid in the US. Please visit the Federal Student Aid website for more information. 
  • Before you start the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process online, you will need an FSA ID, which includes a username and password. You will use this to sign the FAFSA and access websites related to your financial aid. Create your FSA ID now. 
  •  You can then start filling out the FAFSA at 
  • The FAFSA will be available from October 1 for students whose academic year begins the following September.
  • The FAFSA asks for information, such as your name, email address, home address, phone number and Social Security number, as well as information about your financial situation. 
  • Please visit to create your FSA ID, find out how to fill out the FAFSA and what information is needed for your application.
  • In order to receive your COA (Cost of Attendance), please ensure that you have listed Abertay University’s federal school code, so we are able access this to determine the amount you will receive.
  • To receive your COA, please contact or You will be asked to provide us with your SAR (Student Aid Report), DRN (Data Release Number), your SSN and some other personal details. International colleges are not automatically notified when you apply for Federal Aid, so you will need to contact us at the above email addresses.
  • Undergraduate students can receive Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan, while parents of undergraduates can receive Parent Plus Loans.
  • Pell Grants are not applicable at non-US Universities and colleges.


Private Loans

Abertay accepts private loan funding through providers such as Sallie Mae to cover expenses and tuition costs. Please check with your provider to ensure that they offer loans for international institutions. Your COA should outline what you may need to borrow privately so you don’t borrow more than you need.

Federal Aid loans and private loans are processed by our Student Advisory team. If you have any questions, please email them at


Post 9-11 GI Bill

Abertay is able to process funding applications from Veterans Affairs (VA).To receive this funding, you must apply directly through the VA. Please visit the Department of Veteran Affairs website for information about foreign schools. 

Once you have contacted the VA and received a response on your eligibility, please email When you have met the other conditions of your offer from us, our Student Advisory team will complete the enrolment forms and submit them to the VA. Please include the name of the degree you wish to pursue as Abertay may need to seek VA approval for that subject prior to your enrolment.

Receiving VA funding can take some time, so we do not recommend that you rely on VA benefits to fund your tuition deposit or expenses as you start your studies. You might want to consider using other funding such as US Federal loans and then use the VA funding, when it arrives, to pay back the loan.


FAQs about loans

Can I use my Federal Aid to pay my 50% deposit?

Yes, tuition fees including your deposit will be deducted once the loan funds are received by the university.

How long does it take to process my loan?

The loan approval process can take several weeks to process, especially during busy times in the late spring and summer. In order to make sure there are no unnecessary complications with your application, please ensure you follow the above steps and apply in good time.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

I completed my FAFSA but Abertay has not contacted me. What should I do?

Abertay is not automatically contacted when you complete your FAFSA. Please refer to the steps above and contact the appropriate office once you have completed those steps.

What is the COA (Cost of Attendance)?

The Cost of Attendance is the cost of completing one academic year at Abertay. This cost include your tuition fees, living costs and transportation costs, such as your international flights.

What is EFC (Expected Family Contribution)?

This is the amount shown on your SAR (Student Aid Report), which is generated when you complete your FAFSA. This is used to determine financial need, based on family financial circumstances. This impacts the amount you are able to borrow as a direct subsidized loan. You may still borrow up to the full cost of attendance using the unsubsidized and Plus loans. Please be aware that Abertay cannot adjust this amount if your family are not contributing towards your studies.

Will my loan automatically renew for every year I am at Abertay?

No, you must apply or reapply for your US loan each year.

Can I apply to Abertay if I am being funded through the VA Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Of course! We will process your application and submit certificates of enrolment to the VA.

How do I contact someone if I need help?

You can email Beth at, or Hazel at  if you have not been able to find the information you are looking for either here or online.