Professor Schaschke is Head of the School of Science, Engineering and Technology. He has responsibility for providing strategic direction across the three Divisions of Natural and Built Envirnoment, Science, and Food and Drink. He is a chemical engineer and has published widely.
Professor Schaschke currently provides lectures on the following programmes:
FOD303 Food Processing
FOD407 Project Research Methods
EEM Civil Engineering Placement
He also teaches on the European Federation of Chemical Engineering Summer School held annually in Europe.
He has previously taught various on undergraduate and postgraduate engineering modules and has previously won teaching awards including nomination for Teacher of Year (2013) by USSA.
Schaschke, C.J. (2015) Solved Practical Problems in Fluid Mechanics. Publisher CRC Press ISBN: K23412/9781482242980. pp274.
Schaschke, C.J. (2014) Dictionary of Chemical Engineering. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-965145-0. pp433.
Schaschke, C.J. (2011) Food Processing (E-book) Publisher: www.bookboon.com ISBN: 978-87-7681-780-0. pp107.
Schaschke, CJ, (2011) Developments in High-Pressure Food Processing. Series: Food Science and Technology, www.novapublishers.com ISBN: 978-1-61761-297-8.
Schaschke, CJ, Fluid Mechanics: Worked Examples for Engineers (Institution of Chemical Engineers, 1998) ISBN 0 85295 405 0. pp 320. Reprinted 2000 and 2006.
10 most recent Journals
Schaschke, Carl (2016) Experimental viscosity measurements of biodiesels at high pressure. Chemical Industry and Chemical Engineering Quarterly 016 Online-First (oo):1515-15 DOI10.2298/CICEQ160212015S.
Okpala C, Bono G, Geraci M, Sardo G, Vitale S, Schaschke C (2016) Lipid oxidation kinetics of ozone-processed shrimp during iced storage using peroxide value measurements. Food Science 16:5-10.
Wang Y, Hudson NE, Pethrick RA, Schaschke CJ (2016) Electrolyte Effects on Polyacrylic Acid-Polyvinylpyrrolidone Aqueous Glycol Mixtures for Use as De-Icing Fluids. Industrial Chemistry 2:1 http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2469-9764.1000115
Schaschke, CJ Audic J-L (2014) Editorial: Biodegradable Materials. Int. J. Mol. Sci., 15(11):
Zhenyu Z.J. D Simionesie, D., Carl Schaschke, CJ, (2014) Graphite and Hybrid
Nanomaterials as Lubricant Additives. Lubricants, 2(2): 44-65
Schaschke, CJ, Fletcher, I, Glen N (2013) Density and Viscosity Measurement of Diesel Fuels at Combined High Pressure and Elevated Temperature Processes, 1(2): 30-48.
Wang, Y, Pethrick, RA, Hudson, NE, Schaschke CJ (2013) Poly(acrylic acid)-Poly(vinyl pyrrolidone)-Thickened Water/Glycol De-icing Fluids. Cold Regions Science and Technology. 101:24-30.
Wang, Y, Pethrick, RA, Hudson, NE, Schaschke CJ (2013) “Rheology of Poly(acrylic acid) in Water/Glycol/Salt Mixtures,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res 52(2):594-602.
Wang, Y, Pethrick, RA, Hudson, NE, Schaschke CJ (2012), “Rheology of Poly(acrylic acid): A Model Study,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res 51:16196–16208.
Cowin, PI, Petit, CTG, Schaschke, CJ, Tao, S. (2012)Structure and conductivity of rutile niobium iron titanate. Solid State Ionics 236:48-53.
• Editorial board of Processes.
• Editorial board of the International Journal of Food Science.
• Guest editor of special edition of Biodegradable Materials
• Guest editor of special edition of High Pressure Food Processing
• Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers (FIChemE) since 2005
• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) since 2000
• Chartered Scientist (CSci) since 2004
• Chartered Engineer (CEng) since 1992
• Member of the Association of Science Education since 1990
Proceedings of the Royal Society; Chemical Engineering Journal; Flavour and Fragrance Journal; ASC publications (Energy and Fuels); High Pressure Research; Biophysical Chemistry; International Journal of Food Science and Technology; The Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering; Process Biochemistry; Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture; Transactions of the Institution of Chemical Engineers (Food and Bioproducts Processing; World Congress of Chemical Engineering 2005; Food Research International; Enzyme and Microbial Technology; Chemical Engineering and Processing; The Dairy Journal
External Associations and Links
International Seminars & Presentations
External Examiner of International PhDs
External Examiner to PhD students overseas including the Technical University of Lodz, (Lodz, Poland, 1991), ENSIC (Nancy, France 2000) and Ecole de Mines, (Albi, France 2009).
International Congress and Symposia Management
• Member of scientific committee of 6th Symposium on High Pressure Technology. Belgrade, Serbia. Sept 2013. http://www.6ishppt.org.rs/
• Chair, technical sessions at International Symposium on High Pressure Process Technology and Chemical Engineering, Segovia, Spain, 2007
• Member of scientific committee for 5th International Symposium on High Pressure Technology and Chemical Engineering. Segovia, Spain 2007
• Chair, technical session on micro-fluidics at 7th World Congress of Chemical Engineering, Glasgow, UK, July 2005
• Member of the Management Committee World Congress of Chemical Engineering held in Glasgow, UK July 2005
• Member of Scientific Committee of World Congress of Chemical Engineering held in Glasgow, UK July 2005
• Member of Management Committee of “Engineering the Scottish Economy”, UK, Aug 1997
Author of many External Reports. Recent reports since 2006 include:
• Introduction to Heat Transfer to Carron Phoenix (October 2013)
• Introduction to Rheometry to Carron Phoenix Ltd (September 2012)
• Report to Rossyew co-authored with C Mio (August 2012)
• University of Nottingham Accreditation Report (April 2012)
• University of Nottingham Accreditation Report Malaysia Campus (May 2012)
• University of Trinadad and Tobago Accreditation Report (August 2012)
• Report to Peacock Salt Ltd co-authored with D. Blake (October 2011)
• University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. International Benchmarking Review Report to IChemE (June 2011)
• North West University, South Africa. International Benchmarking Review Report to IChemE (June 2011) (co-authored with Professor Colin Webb)
• University of Aston Accreditation Report to IChemE (April 2011)
• Strathclyde Links report to Printcloths Ltd co-authored with J Liggat (March 2011)
• University of Malaya Accreditation Report to IChemE (January 2011)
• AKTP report to Bee Natural Uganda (April 2010)
• External Examiner’s Report to Lincoln University (June 2009 and 2010)
• Cork Institute of Technology Accreditation Report to IChemE (May 2010)
• External Examiner’s Report to Singapore Polytechnic (June 2008, ‘09, ‘10 & ‘11)
• Abu Dhabi Men’s College Accreditation Report to IChemE (May 2009)
• AKTP Innovation Through Collaboration Conference “What’s in it for me? to British Council, Kenya (March 2009)
• Nuffield Bursary Final Report (November 2008, 2009 and 2010)
• African Knowledge Transfer Partnership, A Review to Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Uganda, and JDG Africa Limited, Uganda (June 2008)
• AKTP Lake Katwe Salt Purification to British Council, Kampala, Uganda (June 2008)
• KTP project Final Report with Caledonian Ferguson Timpson Ltd to Momenta (June 2008)
• A Proposal to Reinstate the Laboratory and Laboratory Teaching in the Department of Industrial Chemistry, Faculty of Science, to Makerere University (joint authorship with Dr C Pritchard, University of Edinburgh) (May 2008)
• Biodiesel Production from Tallow to The Campbell Palmer Partnership Ltd, March 2008
• ENSIC, France Accreditation Report to IChemE (December 2007)
• Singapore Polytechnic Accreditation Report to IChemE (May 2007)
• Introduction to Rheometry to Carron Phoenix Ltd (February 2007)
• Removal of Surface Material from Disused Cathode Ray Tubes to SCREEEN (with Professor PJ. Hall) (November 2006)
• University College Cork Accreditation Report to IChemE (November 2006)
Board member of Dundee Science Centre (2015-present)
Board member of Dundee Science Centre Enterprise Committee (2017-present)
Chair of trustees of Norman Fraser Design Trust (2015-present)
Member of Discovery Walk, Dundee.