PGcert in Higher Education Teaching, Abertay University, 2018
Ph.D., Biotechnology (Cancer Biology), Bharathiar University, India, 2013
M.Sc., Biochemistry, Avinashilingam University, India, 2008
B.Sc., Biochemistry, Bharathiar University, India, 2006
Post-doctoral research assistant, Abertay University, UK; Jun’ 17-present
Post-doctoral fellow, Bangor University, UK; Aug’ 14-Jan’16
Honorary Researcher, University of Liverpool, UK; Mar’14-Jun’14
Lecturer in Biotechnology, Bharathiar University, India; Jul’13-Dec’13
Following a Bachelor's and a Master’s degree in Biochemistry, I carried out by doctoral studies in Bharathiar University, India in collaboration with National Dong Hwa University, Taiwan, studying molecular mechanisms involved in combination therapy of neferine and doxorubicin to induce autophagy and apoptosis in lung cancer cells. Then I have relocated to United Kingdom to pursue my postdoctoral fellowship in cancer. At the University of Liverpool, I studied the apoptosis mechanisms induced by maritoclax and Dinaciclib. Further in Bangor University, I have worked on the cellular uptake mechanism and anticancer efficiency of nitro-reductase coated gold magnetic nanoparticles for directed enzyme prodrug therapy (DEPT) in ovarian cancer cells. Currently, I am studying the role of NRF2 in ErbB targeted therapy in breast cancer cells.
LSC 202 - Cell biology and Immunology
1. Poornima P, Efferth. T. (2016) Ayurveda for Cancer Treatment, Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (Los Angel) 5, e178. (doi: 10.4172/2167-0412.1000e178)
2. Velmurugan BK, Bharathi Priya L, Poornima P, Lee LJ, Baskaran R. Biomaterial aided differentiation and maturation of induced pluripotent stem cells. J Cell Physiol. 2018;1
3. Efferth T, Banerjee M, Abu-Darwish MS, Abdelfatah S, Bockers M, Bhakta-Guha D et al. (2018) Biopiracy versus one-world medicine – from colonial relicts to global collaborative concepts. Phytomedicine. (DOI: 10.1016/j.phymed.2018.06.007).
4. Poornima, P., Kumar, J. D., Zhao, Q., Blunder, M., and Efferth, T. (2016) Network pharmacology of cancer: From understanding of complex interactomes to the design of multi-target specific therapeutics from nature, Pharmacological research 111, 290-302.
5. Saranya S, Baskaran R, Poornima P, VijayaPadma V (2018),Berbamine ameliorates isoproterenol?induced myocardial infarction by inhibiting mitochondrial dysfunction and apoptosis in rats, J Cell Biochem. 2018;1-13.
6. Kalaiselvi S, Poornima P, Weng CF and Padma, V. V. (2017) Neferine Potentiates the Antitumor Effect of Cisplatin in Human Lung Adenocarcinoma Cells via a Mitochondria-mediated Apoptosis Pathway J Cell Biochem. 2017 Feb 18. doi: 10.1002/jcb.25937.
7. Baskaran, R., Poornima, P., Priya, L. B., Huang, C. Y., and Padma, V. V. (2016) Neferine prevents autophagy induced by hypoxia through activation of Akt/mTOR pathway and Nrf2 in muscle cells, Biomedicine & pharmacotherapy = Biomedecine & pharmacotherapie 83, 1407-1413.
8. Baskaran, R., Poornima, P., Huang, C. Y., and Padma, V. V. (2016) Neferine prevents NF-kappaB translocation and protects muscle cells from oxidative stress and apoptosis induced by hypoxia, Biofactors 42, 407-417.
9. Varadarajan, S., Poornima, P., Milani, M., Gowda, K., Amin, S., Wang, H. G., and Cohen, G. M. (2015) Maritoclax and dinaciclib inhibit MCL-1 activity and induce apoptosis in both a MCL-1-dependent and -independent manner, Oncotarget 6, 12668-12681.
10. Palanisamy, K., Krishnaswamy, R., Paramasivan, P., Chih-Yang, H., and Vishwanadha, V. P. (2015) Eicosapentaenoic acid prevents TCDD-induced oxidative stress and inflammatory response by modulating MAP kinases and redox-sensitive transcription factors, British journal of pharmacology 172, 4726-4740.
11. Gwenin, V. V., Poornima, P., Halliwell, J., Ball, P., Robinson, G., and Gwenin, C. D. (2015) Identification of novel nitroreductases from Bacillus cereus and their interaction with the CB1954 prodrug, Biochemical pharmacology 98, 392-402.
12. Girilal, M., Krishnakumar, V., Poornima, P., Mohammed Fayaz, A., and Kalaichelvan, P. T. (2015) A comparative study on biologically and chemically synthesized silver nanoparticles induced Heat Shock Proteins on fresh water fish Oreochromis niloticus, Chemosphere 139, 461-468.
13. Poornima, P., Weng, C. F., and Padma, V. V. (2014) Neferine, an alkaloid from lotus seed embryo, inhibits human lung cancer cell growth by MAPK activation and cell cycle arrest, Biofactors 40, 121-131.
14. Poornima, P., Kumar, V. B., Weng, C. F., and Padma, V. V. (2014) Doxorubicin induced apoptosis was potentiated by neferine in human lung adenocarcima, A549 cells, Food Chem Toxicol 68C, 87-98.
15. Kamatchi, T. S., Kalaivani, P., Poornima, P., Padma, V. V., Fronczek, F. R., and Natarajan, K. (2014) New organometallic ruthenium(ii) complexes containing chelidonic acid (4-oxo-4H-pyran-2,6-dicarboxylic acid): synthesis, structure and in vitro biological activity, RSC Advances 4, 2004-2022.
16. Kalaivani, P., Saranya, S., Poornima, P., Prabhakaran, R., Dallemer, F., Vijaya Padma, V., and Natarajan, K. (2014) Biological evaluation of new nickel(II) metallates: Synthesis, DNA/protein binding and mitochondrial mediated apoptosis in human lung cancer cells (A549) via ROS hypergeneration and depletion of cellular antioxidant pool, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 82, 584-599.
17. Kalaivani, P., Prabhakaran, R., Vaishnavi, E., Rueffer, T., Lang, H., Poornima, P., Renganathan, R., Vijaya Padma, V., and Natarajan, K. (2014) Synthesis, structure, DNA/protein binding and in vitro cytotoxicity of new ruthenium metallates, Inorganic Chemistry Frontiers 1, 311-324.
18. Kalaivani, P., Prabhakaran, R., Dallemer, F., Vaishnavi, E., Poornima, P., Vijaya Padma, V., Renganathan, R., and Natarajan, K. (2014) Synthesis, structural characterization, DNA/Protein binding and in vitro cytotoxicity of isomeric ruthenium carbonyl complexes, Journal of Organometallic Chemistry 762, 67-80.
19. Vijaya Padma, V., Poornima, P., Prakash, C., and Bhavani, R. (2013) Oral treatment with gallic acid and quercetin alleviates lindane-induced cardiotoxicity in rats, Can J Physiol Pharmacol 91, 134-140.
20. Prabhakaran, R., Kalaivani, P., Poornima, P., Dallemer, F., Huang, R., Vijaya Padma, V., and Natarajan, K. (2013) Synthesis, DNA/protein binding and in vitro cytotoxic studies of new palladium metallothiosemicarbazones, Bioorganic & medicinal chemistry 21, 6742-6752.
21. Prabhakaran, R., Kalaivani, P., Huang, R., Poornima, P., Vijaya Padma, V., Dallemer, F., and Natarajan, K. (2013) DNA binding, antioxidant, cytotoxicity (MTT, lactate dehydrogenase, NO), and cellular uptake studies of structurally different nickel(II) thiosemicarbazone complexes: synthesis, spectroscopy, electrochemistry, and X-ray crystallography, J Biol Inorg Chem 18, 233-247.
22. Poornima, P., Weng, C. F., and Padma, V. V. (2013) Neferine from Nelumbo nucifera induces autophagy through the inhibition of PI3K/Akt/mTOR pathway and ROS hyper generation in A549 cells, Food Chem 141, 3598-3605.
23. Poornima, P., Quency, R. S., and Padma, V. V. (2013) Neferine induces reactive oxygen species mediated intrinsic pathway of apoptosis in HepG2 cells, Food Chem 136, 659-667.
24. Lalitha, G., Poornima, P., Archanah, A., and Padma, V. V. (2013) Protective effect of neferine against isoproterenol-induced cardiac toxicity, Cardiovasc Toxicol 13, 168-179.
25. Kalaivani, P., Prabhakaran, R., Poornima, P., Huang, R., Hornebecq, V., Dallemer, F., Vijaya Padma, V., and Natarajan, K. (2013) Synthesis and structural characterization of new ruthenium(ii) complexes and investigation of their antiproliferative and metastatic effect against human lung cancer (A549) cells, RSC Advances 3, 20363-20378.
26. Ramachandran, E., Thomas, S. P., Poornima, P., Kalaivani, P., Prabhakaran, R., Padma, V. V., and Natarajan, K. (2012) Evaluation of DNA binding, antioxidant and cytotoxic activity of mononuclear Co(III) complexes of 2-oxo-1,2-dihydrobenzo[h]quinoline-3-carbaldehyde thiosemicarbazones, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 50, 405-415.
27. Ramachandran, E., Kalaivani, P., Prabhakaran, R., Rath, N. P., Brinda, S., Poornima, P., Padma, V. V., and Natarajan, K. (2012) Synthesis, X-ray crystal structure, DNA binding, antioxidant and cytotoxicity studies of Ni(ii) and Pd(ii) thiosemicarbazone complexes, Metallomics 4, 218-227.
28. Prabhakaran, R., Kalaivani, P., Poornima, P., Dallemer, F., Paramaguru, G., Vijaya Padma, V., Renganathan, R., Huang, R., and Natarajan, K. (2012) One pot synthesis of structurally different mono and dimeric Ni(II) thiosemicarbazone complexes and N-arylation on a coordinated ligand: a comparative biological study, Dalton Trans 41, 9323-9336.
29. Padma, V. V., Baskaran, R., Roopesh, R. S., and Poornima, P. (2012) Quercetin attenuates lindane induced oxidative stress in Wistar rats, Mol Biol Rep 39, 6895-6905.
30. Kalaivani, P., Prabhakaran, R., Ramachandran, E., Dallemer, F., Paramaguru, G., Renganathan, R., Poornima, P., Padma, V. V., and Natarajan, K. (2012) Influence of terminal substitution on structural, DNA, Protein binding, anticancer and antibacterial activities of palladium(II) complexes containing 3-methoxy salicylaldehyde-4(N) substituted thiosemicarbazones (vol 41, pg 2486, 2012), Dalton Transactions 41, 14713-14713.
31. Kalaivani, P., Prabhakaran, R., Poornima, P., Dallemer, F., Vijayalakshmi, K., Padma, V. V., and Natarajan, K. (2012) Versatile Coordination Behavior of Salicylaldehydethiosemicarbazone in Ruthenium(II) Carbonyl Complexes: Synthesis, Spectral, X-ray, Electrochemistry, DNA Binding, Cytotoxicity, and Cellular Uptake Studies, Organometallics 31, 8323-8332.
32. Kalaivani, P., Prabhakaran, R., Dallemer, F., Poornima, P., Vaishnavi, E., Ramachandran, E., Padma, V. V., Renganathan, R., and Natarajan, K. (2012) DNA, protein binding, cytotoxicity, cellular uptake and antibacterial activities of new palladium(II) complexes of thiosemicarbazone ligands: effects of substitution on biological activity, Metallomics 4, 101-113.
33. Vijaya Padma, V., Sowmya, P., Arun Felix, T., Baskaran, R., and Poornima, P. (2011) Protective effect of gallic acid against lindane induced toxicity in experimental rats, Food Chem Toxicol 49, 991-998.
34. Veena, V., Poornima, P., Parvatham, R., Sivapriyadharsini, and Kalaiselvi, K. (2011) Isolation and characterization of beta-glucosidase producing bacteria from different sources, Afr J Biotechnol 10, 14907-14912.
Senior Research Fellowship, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India, April, 2012
Junior Research Fellowship, Department of Science and Technology (DST), India and National Science Council (NSC), Taiwan, 2010
Travel awards (3 Nos.), Department of Science and Technology (DST), India, 2010-2013.
Membership to Professional bodies
Member of British Association of Cancer Research
Member of European Association of Cancer Research
Member of Royal Society of Biology (MRSB), 2019
Fellow of Higher Education Academy (FHEA), 2018
Senior Research Fellow, Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India, 2012
Junior Research Fellow, Department of Science and technology, India and National Science Council, Taiwan, 2010
Award for academic excellence, Avinashilingam University, India, 2008
Award for academic excellence, Bharathiar University, India, 2006
Resource person: “Role of NRF2 in drug resistance and cancer therapy” in the international conference on Biozone 2018 -Current trends in cancer research and therapeutics, Sacred Heart College, Thiruvalluvar University, India; 2018
Resource person: “NRF2 in chemo-resistance” in the lecture series on cancer at Sree Ramakrishna College of Arts and Science for Women, Bharathiar University, India; 2018
Resource person: “Targeting the shadows of redox modulating NRF2 to combat drug resistance in cancer” in the Technical seminar on cancer at Sree Narayana Guru College of Arts and Science, Bharathiar University, India; 2018
Keynote speaker: “Neferine as a double-edged sword towards doxorubicin resistance and cardiotoxicity” in the International conference of translational medicine at Institute of Biotechnology, National Dong Hwa University, Taiwan; 2011
“A role for NRF-2 in the mechanism of action and effectiveness of dual tyrosine kinase inhibitor, lapatinib, in breast cancer cells” at 2018 NCRI Cancer Conference, taking place on at the Scottish Event Campus, Glasgow, UK; 2018
“Neferine as a chemosensitizing agent against doxorubicin resistant human lung adenocarcinoma cells” in World Biodiscovery Congress -2018, Dundee, UK; 2018
“Neferine, bisbenzyl-isoquinoline alkaloid from lotus (Nelumbo nucifera gaertn) induces mitochondria mediated apoptosis in liver cancer cells”, at Mitochondria in Biology and Medicine at Centre for cellular and molecular biology (CCMB), Hyderabad, India; 2011
“Optimizing cellular uptake of enzyme/gold coated magnetic nanoparticle conjugates for directed enzyme prodrug therapy (DEPT) for cancer” in LSRNW 1st annual drug discovery congress of Sêr Cymru – Life Sciences and Health NRN, Cardiff, UK; 2014
“Ginsenoside bioconversion by bacterial β-glucosidase” in MINDCRAFT at Karunya University, India; 2007
“Medicinal and nutritional importance of chicory”, at Nutraceuticals and the future of medical science” at Kongunadu Science College, India; 2007