Information for those travelling to study at Abertay.

Travelling within the United Kingdom

Students are currently permitted to travel within Scotland for education and we expect this will still be the case in September. 

Coming to Dundee from overseas

Students travelling to Dundee from overseas should be aware of the international travel rules for Scotland and the UK . Rules around testing and managed isolation (quarantine) differ from country to country in line with the Scottish Government Red, Amber and Green system. Please ensure you have read the appropriate guidance before travelling

Further information

All students are asked to familiarise themselves with the Scottish Government's Travel and Transport advice for universities ahead of the new academic year.

Travel FAQs

When am I allowed to travel to Dundee?

Students who are currently overseas should delay travel to Scotland until face-to-face teaching commences. Personal timetables will be issued in August, which will contain exact details on when live, in-person and online sessions are scheduled to take place in Term 1.

I want to travel to Abertay from a red list country. Is this allowed?

It is permissible to travel to Scotland from a red list country for the purposes of study. Upon arrival, you will be required to quarantine in a hotel for 10 days before travelling to Dundee.

Please ensure you follow these steps before travelling:

  • Complete a passenger locator form;
  • Take a Covid-19 test
  • Book a quarantine hotel package, which include 2 x Covid-19 tests

 For the latest information and travel advice, please visit the Scottish Government website.

Am I required to get a Covid test when I arrive in Dundee?

The Scottish Government advises that everyone undergo rapid-result asymptomatic testing to minimise the spread of transmission amongst those who are not displaying any symptoms.

When you arrive in Dundee, we would strongly recommend you undertake two rapid-result tests, no more than five days apart.

Further information on how to access testing can be found at Covid Testing and Vaccination.

Where can I find information on visas and immigration?

As a result of Brexit, there have been some changes to UK immigration arrangements. 

Find out more at: Information for current students and Visa information for New Students.

Who are the University’s international recruitment contacts?


How do I get to Dundee from the airport?

Students are encouraged to use private transport when arranging connections to Dundee. If this isn't possible, please ensure you follow the guidance on using public transport safely, including the wearing of face coverings for the duration of the journey.

I'm due to travel but have tested positive for Covid-19. What should I do?

If you are self-isolating as a result of having tested positive for Covid-19, please do not travel. Arrangements can be made for you to study online until it is safe for you to come to campus. Let us know by emailing 

I'm already in Dundee but want to return home to self-isolate. Can I do this?

We strongly encourage students to remain in their current place of residence if they have tested positive for Covid-19 or have been a close contact with someone who has. 

If you need to return home for essential reasons e.g. because you require physical, financial or mental health support, it is important that the guidance on self-isolating is followed to ensure any return home can be done so as safely as possible. 

I’m an EU student starting university in 2021, how will Brexit affect me?

EU, EEA and Swiss nationals arriving into the UK from 1 January 2021 onwards will need to apply for a visa to study in the UK if they plan to study for longer than 6 months (if not already registered under the EU settlement scheme). More information is avaialable at Visa requirements.  

Are international students eligible for Covid vaccines in Scotland?

Yes, the Scottish Government has confirmed that international students will be included in the vaccination programme, provided they are not already fully vaccinated. Information on how to register for your first or second dose will be shared ahead of the new academic year.

Accommodation FAQs

Are Abertay student residences Covid-safe?

Whether you’re moving into Abertay-owned residences, private student halls, or a flat in the city, your safety is our main priority. 

All of our accommodation buildings are set up in line with national Covid safety guidelines and you will be provided with detailed guidance on social distancing and hygiene arrangements for living in student residences before you arrive.

Like all universities, we are following the Scottish Government’s student accommodation rules closely, and will keep in touch with you as your move in date approaches.

Our Residences team can provide all the information you need, including room allocation, cleaning procedures and social distancing rules. You can contact them at

Will I need to socially distance from my flatmates?

Once living in a student residence, you and your immediate flatmates are classed as one household and should follow all Scottish Government guidance for households. You don’t need to socially distance from one another and don't need to wear a face covering around each other, unless you want to. 

Am I allowed to socialise with others living in student residences?

Socialising with people from other households is dependent on the local area Coronavirus Protection Level

Indoor socialising in private residences is permitted in the following levels, provided hand and cough hygiene is maintained and rooms are well ventilated:

Levels 2 and 1

  • 6 people from 3 households without physical distancing

Level 0

  • 8 people from 4 households without physical distancing

Indoor socialising in private residences with people outside of your household is not permitted in Levels 3 and 4.


If my flatmate tests positive for Covid-19, do I need to self-isolate?

If anyone in your household displays symptoms of Coronavirus, tests positive for Covid or has been identified as a close contact by the Test & Protect team, you must self-isolate until you have received a negative test result. 

If you have been identified as a close contact, you must self-isolate for 10 days, even if you have received a negative test result. 

Guidance on self-isolation can be found on NHS Inform.

Do I need to wear a face covering in shared accommodation?

Although social distancing and face coverings are not a requirement within shared households, face coverings should be worn in parts of student accommodation where distancing from people in other households cannot be guaranteed. This includes corridors and shared facilities, such as laundry and common rooms.

Can I complete quarantine in University accommodation?

Unfortunately, it is not currently possible to complete managed isolation (quarantine) in University accommodation. 

Is financial support available for students who need to quarantine?

Unfortunately, the University is unable to provide financial support specifically for managed isolation (quarantine) costs.

There are a number of student hardship funds available for other expenses. More information, including eligibility and how to apply, can be found on the Abertay intranet.