Packing for University FAQs

Packing for University FAQs

What essential items should I pack?

The items you must bring with you are:

  • Duvet, pillow and a mattress protector
  • Crockery
  • Cutlery
  • Pots/pans 
  • Cooking utensils
  • Towels

You can buy a duvet, pillow and mattress cover from our online shop. It will be in your room when you arrive.

For more general information, the UCAS site has a much longer list and here's some help from the Freshers Guide in The Guardian.

What documents should I bring?

Documents to bring to university that are useful:

  • Passport/Photo ID
  • Your Bank details: bring a bank statement with you – you never know when you might need to prove your home address.
  • Your student finance documents.
  • Your acceptance letter.
  • Your Accommodation documents.
  • Your NHS medical number if you have it.
  • National insurance number.

Can I bring my own furniture?

No, this is not permitted unless you can evidence a medical need for additional furniture.

Can I bring my pet with me?

There are no pets allowed in any of the University residences. Assistance dogs are obviously the exception.

Can I bring a car with me to Abertay?

There is no restriction on bringing a car to Abertay.

However, parking is not provided on campus and there is limited public parking nearby.

You can use the council-run Bell Street multi-storey car park which is next to the campus, but that needs to be paid for. 

Can I bring a bike with me to Abertay?

Yes. The University provides secure bike storage on campus and at most of the halls.

Bikes to be properly secured outdoors, in the designated areas at halls, so that fire escape routes are not blocked.

What can't I bring?

Unless specifically required, and recommended by the University's disability services, pets, white goods, kitchen equipment, or other larger electronic items are not allowed in your room.

The list of items not permitted includes candles, fridges, freezers, tumble dryers, microwaves, toasters, kettles and heaters. This is not the full list so if you aren't sure, please contact the residences office and we will help.

If you have a disability that requires additional equipment in your room - such as a fridge for storing medication - please get in touch with us so we can discuss appropriate arrangements.

Do I need to bring a TV licence?

Please visit the TV Licencing website for full information. The University doesn't provide TV licence in halls.


How will anyone know if I don't have a TV Licence?

TV Licensing's database lists addresses that don't have a TV Licence, including university accommodation, and officers do visit unlicensed properties.

To find out more about whether you need a licence, contact TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090 or visit the TV Licensing website.