Postgraduate funding (tuition fee and living cost loan) may be available from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland for those who meet the eligibility criteria. Visit the SAAS website for more information.
Why choose this course?
- Develop the technical and managerial skills required to identify and manage sustainable opportunities in the energy and water sectors.
- Acquire the tools to synthesise strategies and solutions to environmental problems.
- Acquire the knowledge and skills for a managerial or technical career in the energy, water or environmental sectors.
- Develop a critical understanding of the complex environment and the ability to integrate various multi-disciplinary components in order to reach holistic solutions to problems of sustainable energy utilisation and water cycle management.
- This course is accredited by CIWEM – The Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management. This gives you free student membership of CIWEM, access to CIWEM publications, and to networking and professional opportunities.
- Abertay has been awarded the highest research rating in Environmental Science of any modern Scottish university.
The course is designed and delivered by a team consisting of industrial practitioners and leading academics drawn from Abertay’s School of Engineering, Science & Technology and the Dundee Business School. The course delivery team is actively engaged in research and consultancy through the Urban Water Technology Centre (UWTC). The Centre benefits from close links with research groups including the Abertay Centre for the Environment (ACE).
The programme is an integration of scientific, technical, managerial and entrepreneurial concepts in the management of the environment. It focuses on energy requirement, production and utilisation, and on water resources management. Emphasis is given to the practical application within industry and commerce, in addition to the appropriate theoretical rigour.
You will graduate with the knowledge and skills to harness energy and water resources efficiently, whilst ensuring sustainability and environmental protection. The programme also offers you the chance to develop a diverse and applied knowledge in environmental technology, business and management, thereby graduating the ability to develop and/or manage effectively environmental strategies on a local and global scale.
Join our Graduate School
Our Graduate School is a dedicated facility providing support, training and professional development opportunities to our vibrant postgraduate community. Specially designed to promote integration and inculcation of interdisciplinary working in our next generation of researchers, postgraduates study and learn together at Abertay - from Environmental Management to Law, Psychology, Bioscience, Economics and Business, Cybersecurity and Computer Games Development.
When you join us as a postgraduate student or researcher, you’ll be joining a community of creative like-minded scholars and will automatically be provided with access to our dedicated study and social spaces – a forum in which you can meet, work and learn with other researchers and postgraduates from across the University. You’ll benefit from training and professional development opportunities as well as support with funding applications, placement opportunities, teaching support, public engagement and outreach activity.
Find out more about our Graduate School.
Making the Most of Masters
The Making the Most of Masters project provides opportunities for Masters students to undertake work based projects, allowing you to enhance your employability at the same time as studying for your Masters degree.
Working with external organisations and employers, the projects are an integral part of your academic programme, and address real needs within an organisation meaning you’ll have the opportunity to add valuable experience to your CV.
Find out more about Making the Most of Masters.
Making the Most of Masters Case Study - Stormwater Management