Skip to navigation Skip to site search Skip to main content Skip to footer

FAQs (Excluding Parker House)

Accommodation application

When can I apply for accommodation?

Once you firmly accept an offer to study at Abertay University, your status on the University system changes and an Orientation Pack is sent out automatically from our Admissions Team.

A Residences Newsletter will be included within this pack detailing which residences will be available for the coming year along with general descriptions.

You can then log onto OASIS (the university portal), where you should find a link which invites you to apply for accommodation online. The online application system will be available from the end of April. Contact the Residences Office if you have any difficulties.

How do I apply for accommodation?

To apply for a room in one of our Residences, please follow the instructions below:

  • Click on "Applicant's Portal" in the Quick Links drop-down at the top of each page or follow the link in this text.
  • Sign in using your username and password
  • Click on "Residences Application and Offer"
  • Follow the instructions from there

I don't have internet access, how can I apply for accommodation?

Please phone the Residences Office on +44 (0)1382 308049 or email and let us know. We'll then send you an accommodation form and information by post. Please note that the paper application will only be available once the online application is open and you have firmly accepted an offer to study with us.

Where can I find my username and password?

Username: your 7 digit student number (this is your unique student number which is on all communication sent to you by our Admissions department

Password: Usually defaulted to your Date of Birth DDMMYY (postgraduate applicants excepted)

  • UCAS applicants will be issued with their username and password from 1st April onwards. Those who apply after this date will receive theirs within 3 working days of accepting the firm offer.
  • If you applied using the University’s Post Graduate online application you can access OASIS using the username and password you created for your application
  • If you applied using paper application form your username and password was sent to you by e-mail within 2 working days of receiving your application

If your password doesn't work click 'Forgotten Password' and follow the instructions. If you are still having problems please contact the Admissions Team at


Can I choose only 1 option for my preference?

We're afraid not, you will have to make 5 choices in order to move through the application. We ask you to make 5 choices as we cannot guarantee that we will be able to offer you your first choice. If you only want your first choice and nothing else please details this in the 'Special Needs/Further Information' box.

What other information is required to process applications?

We need to know that you will definitely be studying at the Abertay University before we can offer you accommodation. For new students, this confirmation is provided to us directly by UCAS.

Can I stay for 1 semester only?

Yes if you are studying a one semester course. When completing the Residences Application in OASIS tell us in the 'Special Needs/Further Information' box that you are studying for one semester only and which semester this will be.

Can I share a flat with my friend(s)?

When completing the Residences Application in OASIS tell us in the 'Special Needs/Further Information' box that you wish to stay in the same flat as a friend, but due to availability, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to fulfil your request.

I will be a new student, am I guaranteed accommodation?

Unfortunately not. However, we always consider students who are new to Dundee to be our top priority and do our best to accommodate them. Please contact the Residences Office if you have any concerns.

When will I know I have secured accommodation?

You will receive an email from the Residences Office once your application has been received. You will then receive another email within seven days confirming availability and details of any offer. Keep an eye on your OASIS account in the meantime for any update. If you have any concerns, please email or call +44 (0)1382 308049 to speak to a Residences Officer.

Accommodation offer

What do I need to do to accept my accommodation offer?

Those that hold a Conditional Firm offer of study will be given a provisional accommodation offer which will be confirmed once you have met the conditions of your offer. Those that hold an Unconditional Firm offer will be asked to accept it online. Instructions on how to do this will be made clear at the time you receive the offer. Please note that you will need to make a rent prepayment (in pounds sterling) at the time of acceptance. The exact amount to be paid will be detailed in the offer. This can be paid by either bank transfer, online through the University OASIS system or over the phone by calling +44 (0)1382 308833


Does it matter if I don't reply to my offer of accommodation immediately?

Yes, it might! Generally, you only have 14 days from the date of offer in which to finally accept or decline your offer of accommodation. Places are limited and in great demand, particularly at the start of the academic year in September, which is why we can only give you a limited amount of time in which to accept.

If you don't accept within the specified time, the accommodation is very likely to be offered to another applicant, with no guarantee that you will receive another offer from us.


Where can I find a summary of the terms and conditions applying to my accommodation/tenancy?

View "Other accommodation information".


What if I don't like what I have been offered?

We prefer students to give the accommodation they have been offered a reasonable trial. A transfer to other accommodation is usually possible once the semester is underway (from around late October), subject to availability of suitable places.

However, we find in the vast majority of cases that once students have been in their accommodation for a few weeks and got to know their neighbours or flatmates, they actually prefer to stay where they are.


If I don't like what I have been offered and reject it, will I get another offer?

If you reject your first offer you will be placed at the end of the waiting list and may not receive another offer. No guarantee can be given. If the reason you are rejecting your offer is because you have a special need which does not allow you to accept the offer, then you should contact the Residences Office.


Can I move to other university accommodation if I don't get on with my neighbours or flatmates?

Transfers are subject to availability and are only allowed once the session is underway and everyone has been found accommodation. However, transfers are not possible between Parker House and our other residences as the lease for Parker House is with a private landlord.


Can I be released from my lease after a few weeks?

No, the lease is legally binding for the 40, 43 (Parker House only) or 51 week period (as applicable), which covers the Christmas and Easter breaks. However, if a student terminates their course (stops being a student), then the lease will also be terminated (a charge may be incurred when course termination/withdrawal occurs).

Please note the lease will not be cancelled if you reside in Parker House until another student is found to take over your lease, and with the approval of the Parker House Team.


What happens if my application is unsuccessful?

We try to place as many students as possible and keep a waiting list if our residences are full. If you are unsuccessful we can provide information about local letting agents for private accommodation.


Is there any chance of a vacancy in the university accommodation after the start of the academic session?

We usually have one or two vacancies arise once the term has started, e.g. where a student has pulled out of the course. You should keep in touch with the Residences Office if you would like to be put onto a waiting list for accommodation. (Please note that it is not possible to transfer between Parker House and another Abertay residences.)


What date can I get into my residence?

Arrivals weekend for 2016-17 is 10am to 4pm on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th August 2016. If you are arriving before these dates there are guest houses and hotels nearby that may be able to accommodate you. If you are arriving after these dates please contact us at to make arrangements


Do I need to pay a deposit?

No, we do not take a deposit but you will have to make a pre-payment of rent at the time of accepting your offer.


How much is the rent pre-payment?

This depends on the halls you will be staying in and the length of time you will be staying with us. The exact amount will be detailed in your Student Residences Agreement.


When does the rent pre-payment have to be paid?

This will have to be paid within 14 days of the date your agreement was sent to you. All information on how much, how to and when to pay will be detailed in your offer.


How can I pay my initial rent pre-payment?

The initial rent pre-payment can be paid by any of the following methods:

Credit/debit card by calling the Support and Enquiry Zone; online through the Online Store or OASIS or by bank transfer (BACS). Setting up a Direct Debit will not pay the initial rent pre-payment - the date of the first Direct Debit payment is detailed in your lease.


I'm paying in full on arrival. Do I still need to pay the initial rent pre-payment?

Yes the rent pre-payment must still be paid within the 14 day offer period. The amount to pay on arrival will be the total amount minus the rent pre-payment - these amounts are listed under section 2 of your Occupancy Agreement.


How much is the rent?

Please look in our costs section for our full rent lists.


How do I pay the rent?

Rent can be paid using either of the following methods: Direct Debit, BACS bank transfer, credit/debit card online or over the phone, or in cash. You will receive a 2% discount if you pay in full in advance - within 14 days of the offer of accommodation. (Terms and conditions may apply. Parker House rent terms vary)


How do I set up a direct debit?

The Direct Debit must be set up through OASIS by clicking on 'Create Direct Debit mandate' in the 'Student View' page. If you set up a payment plan direct with your bank this is a Standing Order/bank transfer(BACS) not a Direct Debit.


Can I pay through my bank?

Yes. This is called a bank transfer/Standing Order. Give our Abertay University Bank Details to your bank to set up the payment plan. Please remember that Standing Orders/BACS can take up to 10 banking days to reach the destination - please ensure your payment will reach us in time.


Can my parents/sponsor pay my rent online?

Yes through our Online Store by clicking on 'Accommodation' then follow the instructions from there.


How much discount will I get if I pay my rent in full?

2% will be discounted. The rent must be paid at the time of accepting the lease terms for the discount to apply. Payments made in full on arrival will not benefit from the 2% discount.


How do I pay my pre-payment through OASIS?

To pay via OASIS you need to:

'Pay Online' (under Finance Options) > Proceed > 'UK/EU student online payment options' > Proceed > Select how you want to pay (credit/debit card) > Proceed > In the ‘Transaction options’ section, select appropriate ‘Payment Type’ from the drop down selection (ie Accommodation Rent) > 'Add an Item' (this should make a line appear under 'Table of Transactions' which is the top section) - On this line you need to type the amount you want to pay in the ‘Amended Amount’ box > ‘Update Charges’ (this should update the 0.00 figure to whatever you typed in) > Proceed > input payment details. 

Please note the lease will not be cancelled if you reside in Parker House until another student is found to take over your lease, and with the approval of the Parker House Team.


Is there anything else included in the rent?

Hot water, heating, lighting, Portable Appliance Testing and Insurance are all included within your rent. Internet is provided free of charge.


Residences information

What is en-suite accommodation?

A bedroom with private shower-room facilities: each en-suite room has its own shower, wash hand basin and WC. Around 40% of the rooms we have are en-suite.


What is the difference between each of the bedroom types in the Lyon Street Halls?

Economy Room = Small single bedroom with single bed. This room has less floor space than the Standard room Standard Room = Single bedroom with single bed. Standard Plus = Single bedroom with single bed. This flat has a lounge area. Bedsit = Self-contained flat with own bathroom, bedroom and kitchen Premium Single Room = Large bedroom with double bed (for one person) Premium Double Room = Double bedroom with double bed (for up to 2 people sharing) Twin Room = Large bedroom with two single beds for 2 people to share.


How many people share the bathroom facilities in the standard (i.e. non-en-suite) halls?

This depends on the halls you are in. The mix varies between two to sixteen students sharing (don't worry though there are plenty of shower rooms and WCs for minimum queuing).


Is the first year accommodation single sex or mixed sex?

Lyon Street and Parker House can be either mixed sex or single sex. The flats in the other university residences are generally mixed sex.


Is bedding supplied in university accommodation?

We don't supply you with bedding. You must bring your own duvet, pillow, sheets, duvet covers and any extra bedding you require. (This is the same for Parker House). Or you can buy bedding from our online shop, which we will deliver to your room.


What do I need to bring to halls with me?

The items you will need to bring with you are detailed in the brochures for each of the halls.


Do the Halls have internet access?

Yes, hardwired and Wi-Fi internet access is available in halls.


I can't cook. How and where will I get my meals if I'm in a flat?

There are lots of pubs, cafes and restaurants in the central area of Dundee including those in the Student Centre at the heart of the University campus in Bell Street, as well as shops where you can buy ready meals. Most students living in flats also enjoy cooking together, at least occasionally. There are some really good student cookbooks to help you learn how to cook easily and cheaply. There are a wide range of supermarkets and more specialist food shops relatively close to all our accommodation.


Can I smoke in my residence?

No. Our residences are all strictly non-smoking. Any student caught smoking in any of the residences will be charged a fixed penalty and the cost to repair any smoke damage.


Are there laundry facilities available?

There are chargeable laundry facilities (washers and dryers) in all university residences! You'll need to supply your own washing powder/liquid. There are washing machines which cost £2.50 per wash and tumble dryers which cost £1.50 per cycle.


When can I collect the keys to my room?

Keys for all our Halls of Residences can be collected on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th August 2016 between 10am and 4pm each day. If you are not able to collect your keys during these times please e-mail to discuss other arrangements. Please note that keys cannot be collected prior to 10am on Saturday 27th August 2016. Keys for Lyon Street, Meadowside and Victoria Chambers can be collected from the main University in Bell Street, Dundee. Parker House arrange their own key collection times, please contact them for more information.


What if I arrive before the arrivals weekend?

There are many guest houses in the Dundee area that may be able to accommodate you if you are arriving before the designated arrivals weekend.


What do the Caretakers do?

Your Caretaker is your first point of contact if you have any general issues with your accommodation. If they are unable to help, they will be able to pass you on to someone who can. They are also responsible for the cleaning services, general discipline and repairs within the residence.


What if I live in a University residence and need help out of office hours?

You should phone our 24-hour Campus Security on +44 (0)1382 308008 for help.


What should I do if I lose my key?

During office hours (Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm) please contact the Residence office on 01382 308059. If outwith these times, call Security on 01382 308008. Please note that non-emergency call outs may incur charges and any loss will result in a charge per key being raised against your account, however if you happen to find your keys and return the spare set to us we will remove the charge.

Personal requirements

What facilities are available for disabled students?

We have a limited number of flats which have been adapted to suit students with restricted mobility and we will do our best to adapt to meet your needs. However, there is no single solution to suit everyone. Please contact Student Services on and a member of staff will be able to further inform you about how we can assist with your particular disability.

Do you have any services/facilities for students with mental health problems?

You should contact Student Services on They will be able to further inform you about how we can support you.


I have asthma. Can I be sure of having non-smoking accommodation?

Yes, all our residences are non-smoking.

What if I have a medical problem? Would I get priority?

We would try to give some priority to your application, and would do our best to help you find suitable accommodation. However, we are unable to offer you a cast-iron guarantee of accommodation. The University does have a number of rooms that are reserved for students who have additional support needs such as a medical condition or disability. You should Student Services on for advice if necessary.


Can I share a flat with my friend(s)?

When completing the Residences Application in OASIS tell us in the 'Special Needs/Further Information' box that you wish to stay in the same flat as a friend, but due to availability we cannot guarantee that we will be able to fulfil your request.

Overseas students

How can I get a letter for visa purposes?

We have been assured by each of the British embassies that an accommodation confirmation letter is not needed for a visa application. If they insist upon a letter, you should ask them to confirm this to us by email on (confirming their fax number). We would then respond directly to them. We have been told that the course offer letter is sufficient for visa application purposes.

I am travelling from overseas. Will I be placed in a particular residence?

No, all nationalities are mixed in each of our residences. It's a great opportunity to meet people from around the world.

Returning student information

Can I get university accommodation after my first year?

Although not always possible, we normally offer a percentage of our residences to returning students. Details will be publicised in March/April for returning students for the coming academic year. Please email for information on current vacancies.

Do I get any priority for University accommodation after my first year?

No, unfortunately not. Although the Residences Office has approximately 500 bed spaces in University residences, we simply do not have a large enough housing stock to be able to promise University accommodation to students who are not first entrants.


What are the dates of the International Welcome Events?

For dates and other information about the International Welcome Week please contact the Support Enquiry Zone (01382 308833).

Can I get accommodation during the International Welcome Events?

Only if you have a booking with us for the academic year. If you don't have a booking with us you will have to see if a local guesthouse or hotel can accommodate you.

Can I share with a friend?

If you have a friend or sibling who is coming to University with you, let us know and we'll try to accommodate you together. Likewise, if you would prefer not to share with someone you know, just let us know!

Can I bring my own furniture?

No, I am afraid this is not possible.

Can I bring my pet with me?

There are no pets allowed in any of the university residences.

Can I bring a car with me to Abertay?

There is no restriction on bringing a car to Abertay. However, parking is not provided on campus and there is only limited parking available at Lyon Street. Parking is available at the council-run Bell Street multi-storey car park which is adjacent to the campus. Special arrangements will be made for disabled Blue Badge holders.


Can I bring a bike with me to Abertay?

Yes. The University provides secure bike storage on campus and at most of the halls.

Do I need a licence for a TV in my room?

Yes, you need a licence if you have a TV in your room. However, if you and your flatmates have one TV only in the communal area you need only pay for one licence. Also, if you use any other device to receive or record TV programmes (for example, a video, set-top box, DVD recorder or PC with a broadcast card) a licence is needed. Parker House residents will need to buy a licence for the television in the lounge area. For further information regarding TV licence please go to the TV Licensing website.

Why do I need a TV Licence?

It doesn't matter what channel you choose - it could be terrestrial, cable or satellite. And it doesn't matter what equipment you use - traditional TV, games console, laptop or mobile phone. You still need to be covered by a licence if you are watching programmes at the same time as they are shown on TV. If you are found to be using TV without a licence, you may be prosecuted and fined up to £1,000. This means that if you are watching or recording programmes via the BBC iPlayer at the same time as they are shown on TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence. If you are only watching or downloading programmes that have already been broadcast using the iPlayer or other internet services, a licence is not required.

How will anyone know if I don't have a TV Licence?

TV Licensing's database lists addresses that don't have a TV Licence, including university accommodation, and enquiry officers do visit unlicensed properties. If you use television-receiving equipment without a valid TV Licence, you risk prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000, plus court costs, and you will need to buy a TV Licence if you still need one. A colour licence costs £145.50. To find out more about whether you require a licence, contact TV Licensing on 0300 790 6090 or visit the TV Licensing website.


Can you view private accommodation for me?

Unfortunately, this is not one of the services that we are able to offer to students. Everyone has his or her own criteria for what makes a great flat, therefore it is much better if you check out the options for yourself. The University makes no recommendations with regards to private landlords/companies. Student Services have some information available and the Scotland Shelter website has good advice on finding private accommodation to rent.

I'm in University accommodation. Do I have to clear my room at Christmas and Easter?

No! All residents in university accommodation have both the Christmas and spring vacations included within their tenancy agreement.